What can I do if I am the victim of a hit and run?

Categories: Blog

A driver who has an accident and flees the scene has committed a crime.  Many times there is an additional crime involved as they may not have a license or insurance, the car may be stolen, or they may be high on drugs or alcohol.

The first thing you need to do is record as many details as possible. Take notes, write down a description of the car, record the license plate, and use the camera on your cell phone. Dash-mounted cams are also invaluable in recording events. Obtaining the other car’s tag number is a critical piece of information to identify the car owner and possibly the driver. If possible also look for witnesses who saw the accident and get their name addresses and phone numbers.

File a police report and provide as much information as possible. Take pictures of the damage to your car and provide them to the police.

Once you have done all that you can to identify the driver and his car you should call your insurance company made make a claim. Your insurance company may ask you to provide a recorded statement and you have an obligation to cooperate with them.

Most car insurance policies have uninsured motorist insurance coverage. This coverage will pay up to the policy limits as if the person who hit you had insurance and its use will not increase your insurance rates. Personal injury protection, also known as PIP can provide you reimbursement for the medical expenses you have incurred and the wages you have lost from taking time off from work to recover.  Collision coverage under your policy will pay to repair your car and many policies will provide you with a rental car while your car is being repaired. You will need to pay the deductible amount

Being in an accident with a hit and run driver is frustrating and it is normal to feel that you are being taken advantage of and made to deal with another’s negligence.  Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of the options available